CRAFT Community Reinforcement and Family Training
SRC’s CRAFT (Community Reinforcement and Family Training) support program is for family members and friends concerned about someone close to them who lives with a substance use disorder. CRAFT’s curriculum is highly-effective, evidence based and compassionate making it ideal for engaging a reluctant loved one into treatment. Family members and friends learn strategies to take care of themselves while also increasing motivation for positive change in their loved ones.
CRAFT teaches family members how to:
- Identify their loved one’s triggers for and results of their use.
- Break the patterns that lead to or increase a loved one’s drinking or using.
- Develop and improve communication skills to more effectively express their needs and requests.
- Help their loved one access effective addiction treatment resources when they express interest in treatment.
- Learn or re-learn how to take care of themselves and reconnect with their values so that, regardless of their loved one’s use, they can still lead a life that is centered on their values and not their loved one’s drug/alcohol use.
- If violence or the potential for violence exists, help family members identify triggers for violence and develop plans to keep themselves (and their children) safe.
For every one person living with a substance use disorder, there are an average of five loved ones around him/her who are also negatively affected.
Together we can overcome the stigma around substance use disorders and bring hope, encouragement and help to all families who are suffering and need support through a proven approach that can benefit both the substance user and the family members.
Serenity Recovery Connection’s mission is to strengthen the recovery community through peer and family support, public education and advocacy. We believe there are many roads to recovery.
CRAFT Family Education Program Schedule-Updated 12/5/2022
CRAFT Family Group Tuesday 4:00 pm – 5:15 pm
Contact: Rebecca C.| 719-209-7691| Meets at SRC (Spanish)
Contact: Molly | 719-301-5458 / Meets at Walls Counseling
**In order to create continuity in this program series, and to promote the maximum benefit to mastering the principals and skills presented in CRAFT, we ask that attendees commit to the full 12 week sequence. The group will be closed at week 3 and anyone wanting to sign up after that time will be added to the waitlist for the next group.
You will learn skills and techniques to reduce your loved one’s harmful substance use, help engage your loved one in treatment, and improve your and your family’s functioning (emotional, physical, and relationships.) Using the CRAFT techniques will empower you to influence change, train you in behavior skills to help you positively reinforce your loved one non- substance using behavior, and refrain from positively reinforcing your loved one’s substance-using behavior. It will help you improve the quality of your life whether your loved one gets into recovery or not
4 Goals of CRAFT
• Reduce loved one’s harmful substance use
• Engage loved one into treatment
• Improve relationships in the family
• Improve functioning of concerned significant other
Why use CRAFT?
• Empowers you to influence change
• Trains you in behavior change skills
• Improves your quality of life
• Prepares you for your loved one’s treatment engagement